Resources for Washington Members

Washington State Resources

Washington State Coronavirus Response includes what to do if you are ill, news, and more.

Washington State Department of Health has current information on COVID-19.

Apply for Unemployment with the Employment Security Department.

Check out this infographic for common COVID-19 scenarios and benefits available by the Employment Security Department.

Trust Offices

For members living in Western Washington and Central Washington, contact Carpenters Trusts of Western Washington for information on healthcare and retirement information. 

Offices are closed for walk-ins. Please call (206) 441.6514 for information.

For members living in Southwestern Washington, contact William C Earhart Company for information on healthcare and retirement information.

Offices are closed for walk-ins. Please call (503) 460.5247 for information.

Additional Resources is a free, confidential referral and information helpline and website. It connects people of all ages and from all communities to the essential health and human services they need.

Foundation for Working Families Hardship Assistance Program
A non-profit organization created to assist union families in Washington state in times of hardship or disaster.

COVID-19 Child Care Support – You may qualify for financial assistance to pay for child care if you live or work in King County, fall within income guidelines, or are an essential worker.

Schools Have Food – Most schools still provide lunches to kids. Check your school district for availability.

ANEW offers financial and support services to apprentices in Washington. Contact ANEW’s office at 425-390-7703 or for faster service.

Washington FAQ

Last Updated: April 3, 2020

We will be adding additional questions as we are able to answer them. Answers that apply to all members in the Northwest Carpenters Union can be found at the bottom of our main COVID-19 resource page. If you have more questions or feel you did not get the answer you needed, contact us at (877) 284.7936 or

➤ What should I do if my employer is not following health and safety guidelines?
If you believe your job site is unsafe, or that proper precautions are not in place to keep you safe, we need to know. Representatives will work with you and the contractor to make sure that the job site is following proper safety guidelines. If you think your job site is not following CDC or OSHA guidelines for COVID-19, call our hotline (877) 284.7936 or email us at
➤ Do I still have to wait a week to become eligible for unemployment?

No, the state waived the waiting period.

➤ Am I eligible for unemployment if I choose to self-quarantine or isolate?

Yes. The definition of self-quarantine and isolation now includes following the Governor’s “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order.

➤ If my kids are out of school and I have to take care of them, do I qualify for unemployment?

It depends.

Your first choice should be to use your employer-paid time off.

If you cannot go to work because you don’t have childcare while schools are closed, you should call your employer and let them know why you are absent. If your employer fires you or lays you off while you are absent, then you may qualify for unemployment.

However, you are required to be able and actively seeking work each week you collect unemployment benefits. If you don’t have childcare and can return to your job or accept a work offer, you will not be eligible for unemployment benefits. If your situation changes, you should contact the Washington State Employment Security Department.

➤ (Western WA only) If a job is shut down by state mandate, do the “lay off is pay off” rules still apply?

Checks need to be at least postmarked on the day of separation and may be sent via mail. The check doesn’t necessarily need to be hand-delivered to the person. Regardless, the scenario is described as a layoff.

Did You Know?

PNWRCC has many women in our crafts and leadership positions.

Margaret Ellings became the first woman initiated into the United Brotherhood of Carpenters in October 1935. The establishment of a women’s committee within the United Brotherhood of Carpenters is one of the most important developments in the union’s recent history. Visit


Sign up for mobile alerts

Mobile alerts from Northwest Carpenters. Periodic messages. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to 91990 to stop receiving messages. Text HELP to 91990 for more information.
Terms & Conditions